Tuesday 3 June 2008

I'd Do Anything: The Final

They’re all teary eyed before we begin! Phone lines open all ready? What’s that all about?

A carnival atmosphere for the past, present and future Nancys and Olivers ‘I’d Do Anything’, even Graham getting in on the act. I’m saying nothing about him wanting to be Nancy. You didn’t hear it from me.

I’ve supported Samantha the last couple of weeks - ‘Defying Gravity’ for me has been the showstopper. However, I’m shall strive to be impartial tonight. Cameron is perfectly clear what he wants: Showstopping...heartbreaking...heartwarming...everfizzincoolwalkingfasttalking...ah, ok, not those last bits really.

Jodie - ‘Son of a Preacher Man’. Bit too ‘Americanised’ for me but gives it everything and very likeable. John adores her.

Samantha - ‘Anyone Who Had a Heart’. Another strong vocal, I didn’t think she had it early on, but her confidence has grown throughout. I agree with Denise though, she needs emotional direction; this competition possibly came a touch too soon for her.

Jessie - ‘First time Ever I Saw Your Face’. So natural, effortless almost, didn’t seem to be long enough. Cameron: “I think Jessie was born to play Nancy!” Wow! Followed by Andrew: “The sacred flame of star quality.” John and Denise disagree - the panel are split. Again.

Graham introduces Bullseye the dog: That’s one ugly mutt. (My words, not Graham’s!)

Duets with the Olivers:

Laurence and Jodie ‘Getting to Know You’. Lovely stuff, really together. Good speech, she wants this the most out of the three. Being ten years older, it may be her last chance.

Harry and Samantha ‘Singing in the Rain’. Terrible song choice - no chance of the interaction we need to see. That could’ve just cost Samantha her place in the final, showed off neither her nor Harry. Her speech not as passionate as Jodie’s.

Jessie and Gwion ‘Truly Scrumptious’ The Gaelic/Celt connection working well. Brilliant. Her plea spoken from the heart. Cameron once again singles Jessie out, he’s desperate for her to win.

I do feel Sam was unfortunate there, she should have had a well known kids musical song; surely something like ‘Let’s Go Fly a Kite’ from Mary Poppins would have been better?

Trio: Maybe This Time - coaching by Liza Minnelli *whispers: I’m not a great fan of the legendary LM* But she’s been there, done it; they can’t fail to learn from her. They can give this some welly. Awesome. They deserve the standing ovation. A great final three.

The phone lines are closed!

Lee Mead drops in, between his own shows - we’ll never tire of him performing ‘Any Dream Will Do’. His choice is Jodie! That will probably get her more votes in the final section if she makes it through.

They’re bracing themselves - 1st through: Jessie! Yay.

3rd Place: Samantha! Reticent, not expecting to go this far. A fantastic future beckons. I thought Graham was going to cry then; John is! Andrew unsurprised. Her version of ‘As Long As He Needs Me’ is the best exit I’ve heard throughout. Somebody needs to bring Jodie down from the ceiling.

Final Results Show

All the Nancys are back; Samantha still looks thrilled to be a part of it.

‘As Long as He Needs Me’: Jodie: Intense, feisty, strong. Jessie: Vulnerable, more intensely passionate. She would have had my vote, had I been able to.

Former Nancys and Olivers: ‘Never Forget’. Funny, I’d forgotten the others. Oops, sorry! (didn’t think that quite came together).

Best solo performances: Jodie revisits ‘ I Have Nothing’. I normally find Jodie ‘safe’ however, I did just get goosebumps there. Jessie laments over ‘The Man That got Away’. Raw class, pure class. They closed the phone lines immediately she finished singing, that seems a little unfair.

The panel have to name their Nancy: John and Denise plump for Jodie - Barry and Andrew for Jessie. Cameron: “Jessie IS Nancy!”

They’re both going to go ‘Pop’ if Graham doesn’t get on with it!

JODIE!!! The Nation’s Nancy. But you get the impression Cameron and Andrew will be keeping Jessie closely involved somewhere! Maybe it’s time for Andrew to write a new musical!

‘As Long As He Needs Me’ - the complete version. Jodie gives an emotional performance and whilst her voice isn’t to my taste, she’ll do a great job I’m sure.

So, what’s next? Did I hear rumours about a Phantom?

No comments: