Saturday 28 June 2008

Sports Leaders, fire engines, tarantula

The Community Sports Leader Award Presentation took place, so now teenager Brad has qualifications in First Aid and Coaching. It was the culmination of ten months hard but enjoyable work; all fourteen young people that took part stood bravely in front of a hall full of family and friends to tell us how much it meant to them. In an age where our teenagers are so maligned, it was wonderful to hear them talk of teamwork, confidence, learning new skills and of friendships that will stay with them for life. I personally think kids like these far outnumber the scummy kids - we just don’t hear about them.

Matt had his School fete today - the Krispy Kreme doughnut stand (yum), the second hand book stall (this year I picked up Sam Bourne’s ‘The Righteous Men’) baton twirlers, karate display and Matt, having paid attention during his bowling coaching, smacked a coconut clean off its stand and into the back fence. They left me admiring the jewellery and disappeared. Where could they be? I know, I thought, I’ll see if they’re over by the fire engine. Unfortunately, I bumped into them before I made it that far, and Matt couldn’t be persuaded that he really, really wanted to look around the engine. Spoilsport!
Probably the highlight of the school fete is the visit of the local arachnid society - wander into a very warm classroom and you have the chance to pet the python, cuddle a corn snake, maul a millipede and tickle a tegu. And this year, I fulfilled a life long ambition - I held a tarantula: The Mexican Red Rump, so light, lively too - nearly lost her up my arm. I think the handler was more concerned for her than me.

No comments: