Saturday 9 February 2008

Match of the Day

What a gorgeous day - I took no.2 sproglet to football wearing multiple layers, hat and gloves but ended up stuffing them all into bags. With hubby out all night on a works jolly, I’d changed shifts, it’s not often I’m able to watch no.2 play - what a pleasure it was. I felt a running commentary was in order…

Ok, now one of the kids is just staring at me. It’s called “writing” - they’ll teach you it at school, trust me! *crosses fingers*
No.1, (not a sproglet any longer) reckons the offie sells tea and bacon butties - and he didn’t ask me for money! Woohoo! We’ll see.
0-1 - good goal though. 1-1! Penalty to us! Yay. Great tenacity by our striker, they had no choice but to foul.
No.1’s taking his time with the tea and butties. And the staring boy and mine are subs, playing their own game next to me - I just felt the ball whistle past my head.
Now, that was a shove and a half, free kick to us, Good one, so close.
Here comes No.1. ‘Bout time, with games only 25 minutes long, this one’s almost finished. No bacon butty but a Ripple instead. He knows me so well! (And he let me have half his tuna baguette). So I’ll keep the Ripple for a special occasion, how long d’you reckon it will last in my fridge before I can no longer resist? (Dress fitting Tuesday).
Oh, dear, we’ve just missed a sitter - two forwards letting each other go for it, bless. 1-2 to them. We’d been on the attack too! And I’ve started to shout. *Kids cover their eyes and move away*. Can’t help myself, sorry. Final whistle.
Game two and littlun’s playing left side midfield. They thought I was shouting before, ha, that was gentle encouragement. *More tea required for vocal chord lubrication* Go on my son, get stuck in! He looks so small compared to the rest. Actually, our keeper is even smaller! 0-0 at half time. He’s sub again now so I can relax, especially after his blatant hand ball which I missed - selective viewing! No.1 just phoned from running the line to ask why No.2 is drinking his hot chocolate. How sad is that? No.2’s lost his drinks bottle. I mean, it’s pink (mine originally) and we’re in the middle of a pretty empty field. How hard can it be? Found it - exactly where I thought it’d be. The other team just scored while I was looking. But no.2 is now in a ‘I don’t care’ mood cos he can’t have Lucozade. Don’t you just love ‘em? Visitors on the attack again, way over the bar. And again, almost same spot. Come on boys! We’re all back behind the ball - good clearance, working our way up. But it’s not to be. Final score, 0-1 to them.
They were playing the leaders who had previously beaten them 3-0 and 5-0 at their place. So losing 1-2 and 0-1 is an improvement, they’ll consolidate their respectable mid-table position, not bad for their first season.

The Ripple? Never even made it home to the fridge. *Hangs head in shame*

No comments: