Sunday 11 May 2008

Young Musician of the Year

I’ve never watched this before, but as a loyal ‘GG’ it’s my duty to listen to the narrator and the charter demands I will be watching this evening! So thanks Geth - I wouldn’t have heard these wonderful people if it wasn’t for you. Considering I’m a musical numpty, it was nice of the judges to choose my favourites to go through! Unfortunately, life demands my attention therefore I had to forego the actual programmes and check out the performances on I-player - so that’s me on a written warning from Lady Sparkling of Champagne Manor!

The Finalists

Strings - Jadran Duncomb, guitar. For me this is a jazz instrument so already I was biased. He was completely lost in his playing and I adored the ‘Tango en Skein’ piece. Just him on stage, wonderful, could have listened all night.

Woodwind: David Smith, flute. There’s something magical about a flute, reminds me of wood nymphs and faeries and enchanted forests. I’d enjoyed Melanie Rothman’s blues piece - but Zoom Tube blew me away - was not expecting that - Scattyflute! How cool is this lad, was that risky?

Brass: Peter Moore, trombone. Totally grabbed my attention with his first piece - Peaslee Arrows of time, 1st mvmt, Jazz Feeling - can’t think why! Piano wasn’t just accompanying - they were jammin’! Then I was lost in the second, swaying in front of the computer, waving candles.

Percussion: Jim Molyneux. I knew I’d enjoy this section! Specially David Elliott’s Charlie Parker piece - I didn’t know they had so much jazz in YMOTY! Daniel Day ‘Grooved it up’ - his own composition - I’m guessing there aren't many classical composers for percussion. Jim played two of his own also, one called simply ‘Hit Stuff’ - cracking title! Final piece - ‘Latin’ - awesome, loved it. I’m so biased! I actually clapped; my son called me weird.

Keyboard: Erdem Misirlioglu. No jazz here, more traditional compositions. What set him apart from the others? I’ve no idea, since I don’t know my Chopin Liszt’s from my Brahms and Liszt’s, but the others I found myself skipping through, whereas ‘Adagio’ I didn’t, it was beautiful. And he seemed to feel every note he played.

Now looking forward to the final of the Young (Jazz?) Musician of the Year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not that risky to choose Zoom. The judges wouldn't criticise it in case they look like philistines, and after all, he does play it very well.

Jaye said...

Cheers Jt - I had no idea whether that's a normal way to play flute. I'm googling Ian Clarke now to see if I can find more of the same!(Feel free to recommend anything.)