Sunday 11 May 2008

I'd Do Anything, Week 7

I often comment on the hostesses’ dresses - I’d just like to say how consistently smart Graham has looked every week - not a lot for a wardrobe mistress to play with really, which is a good thing, considering the recent DOI and SCD shows ...

All seem in fine voice for another go at ’It’s a Fine Life’ - it’s easier to compare now there’s fewer of them. Jessie sounds as though she’s been working hard on the accent.

Only two places left in the Oliver final!

The gloves definitely off this week: They made the girls choose who they DON’T think is Nancy - that’s hardly going to foster harmony is it?

Jessie - Niamh, more suited to pop; Niamh - Ashley, voice doesn’t fit; Ashley - Niamh, too young; Jodie - Niamh, too fragile; Sam - Rachel, too polished; Rachel - Sam, too poppy. (looking ahead to the ‘trio’ performances, they probably filmed this when they’d separated!)

They’re trying to show the different sides of Nancy tonight, so for Jessie, following the emotional performance last week, she’s a ‘Fighter’ tonight. She was excellent I thought, great song choice. And the panel are slating her - John and Denise and even Andrew - diction, song choice. Like I said ‘me and panels’. Although Barry and Andrew have both conceded what we all knew - Nancy could quite easily have been Irish. John “but the public expect a Cockney Nancy”. Well, no actually, I’d be quite happy if she’s Irish. The production wanted ‘different’ didn’t they? And you lot really want to make your bloody minds up - that was a raw performance. I’m annoyed I was out now - I can’t vote to try and save her.

Niamh: Just a touch in awe of Celine Dion (who they might have let dress for the group photo, for goodness sake!) “True Colours” Nice vocal, couple of wobbles, she’s a bit more animated which is good to see, makes her a lot more watchable - don’t think her voice will carry her through for a long run though. Andrew likes her, says she’s going places but maybe not just yet.

Ashley: “The funniest teacher ever” the children love her and they want to see maternal Nancy. “I say a Little Prayer for You”. Bit bland to begin with but picked up with the song - the ‘back seat driving’ section was fun, positive - have to agree with Denise re cabaret-stylee. Andrew almost verging on bitchy: “Run for the bus dear, you should take it!" (The Scots will have their phones on redial!)

Olivers: Back at ‘old’ school. Ugh, they’re having gruel - Oliver must have been REALLY hungry, according to Kwayedza! Lawrence is through: He plays both piano and trumpet, good lad! “You Give a Little Love” from Bugsy Malone, what a fantastic film that was and they seem to have suddenly grown up for that performance.

Samantha: ‘Survivor’ - difficult song, well sung. She has the most presence on stage for me, another great performance. Barry genuinely made me laugh: “It’s difficult to dance in high heels, trust me, I know from experience!”

Jodie: That’s the dog lovers’ vote secured. “If I Ain’t Got You” - emotional but also a little bit ’cabaret’, in my humble opinion, although I do still think vocally she’s a real contender. Not sure re the 'moving' - none of them apart from Samantha seem to be really comfortable.

Rachel: “You‘ve Got A Friend” - Hm, another easy listening song - not sure that will endear her to the public again. Nice performance, not overacted, good vocal - but doesn’t stand out one way or the other. She may be in trouble again but Andrew will probably save her. Or not - Andrew is in critical mood tonight!

The ‘Trio’ songs - Young v Old(er, slightly) girls.

Candy man: Niamh, Jessie, Sam - Really enjoyable although I felt Niamh was left behind by Sam and Jessie’s energy - we found ScattyJessie! It's been a good weekend for jazz influences.

Man, I feel Like a Woman: Ashley, Jodie and Rachel: Jodie and Ashley not the best of dancers, showed Rachel off better than her solo song.

Andrew non committal: What fun!

Top two for me then: Jessie and Sam. Bottom two - after last week I’m giving up predicting, we know no-one’s safe. Who would Andrew NOT save and why? Niamh, loves her but she’s not ready yet - Ashley, hated her tonight - Rachel, disappointed she didn’t take on board his advice from last week. Jodie - not sure she’d choreograph well - Jessie, not impressed this week (but I think last week would be taken into account) Sam he really enjoys, she’s probably feeling most secure - but what if she’s there with Jessie?

Stay tuned! Results are in ...The Special Assignment segment involved John B, a stunt man, a bottle and a punch - bet the girls enjoyed letting off steam. I wonder who they were thinking of - the panel are confusing the hell out of them with contrary comments each week. The boys chose Niamh to duet on ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ - I thought Lawrence outshone her.

The panel’s verdict on who isn’t Nancy this week. Jessie (John, unimpressed with her acting) Ashley (Denise) Rachel (Barry).

The public vote: Samantha, safe; Jodie, safe; Rachel NOT safe, may be in the sing off; Jessie, safe; Niamh and Ashley brought stage front to join Rachel. Ashley - sing off; Rachel safe. So Niamh in the sing off. Lowest viewer vote - Ashley. Guess the Scots were too distracted by the footie.

‘Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina’ - I personally don’t see either of them as Nancy, completely different vocally, not sure who I preferred there. I’d expect him to choose Niamh and I’m right. I think Ashley has been one of the strongest actresses though.

No comments: