Friday 16 May 2008

Cars: it’s not a lot to ask, is it?

Just to get you from A to B and back, a third-hand little phut-phut runaround, nothing flashy. So I’m depressing the brake pedal (you could’ve been a contender, you know, in another life, you could’ve been in a Ferrari...) and it’s creaking and squeaking and groaning and trembling. I called the garage - since it’s still under the warranty, the three month warranty, that is - I’m not taking any chances. I’d only had it 48 hours when it left me stranded (fuel pipe not secured properly after the service) less than two weeks later the clutch cable snapped (apparently a Daewoo Matiz’s only fault *EEK*) so you understand why I want the brakes checked before I’m left waiting for the AA man again. Especially as the last one didn’t like me nipping into the shopping centre for a coffee while he worked. Tell me, why should we both freeze our bits off? I booked it in yesterday morning for Tuesday.

Typically, the b****** thing hasn’t done it since.

Update, Sunday 18th: Uncle John ('Ullo, John, gotta new ...oh, alright) came round today. He's a mechanic by trade; he reckons the brakes are fine. He said to get them to look at the main bearing though. And the clutch. And the fan belt. Thanks, Uncle John. His actual words on reappearing after a spin around the block were: "It's knackered!" Which I assume is a technical term within the motor trade.

Update, update, Tuesday 20th: It's been in and it's back. Apparently, the brakes were a bit dusty...the clutch has been adjusted so the gears aren't quite so crunchy ...mmn, er, where was I? Oh, yes, I forgot to ask about the fan belt, I shouldn't have had the radio on driving home really, will have to listen more carefully as I think I heard that squeaking again ...may have to take it back ...I took a one year extra warranty and I'm damn well going to get my money's worth.

No comments: