Sunday 20 April 2008

I'd Do Anything, Week Four:

Opening song : ‘Consider Yourself’ - strong vocals from Francesca, Keisha, Sarah, Rachel, Jodie and Niamh, less strong from Samantha, Jessie and Ashley. Although Samantha acted the part well, whilst I thought Rachel overdid it as usual.

Looks like Barry’s dyed his hair afresh!

Jodie: Her face looks slimmer, although it could be the earrings - she’ll have neck ache wearing those too often. Feisty but poppy song which didn’t show off her vocal, consistent though.

Samantha: Let’s hope John’s coaching helps. Her best yet I’d say, a different Samantha. A little concerned at the start but improved and gave it everything. Raw - thanks Denise, that’s the word I was looking for.

Ashley: Oh God! Not a Whitney song, THAT Whitney song. Even Whitney sounds like she’s being strangled on that. Not looking forward to this at all. Strangled it is and she doesn’t move well. Bottom two unless others really screw up.

I’m agreeing with Andrew again!

Niamh: Understated yet powerful. Enjoyed that, and she’s looking less gothic too. Warming to her. No point winking at John though, Niamh - more chance with Barry, my dear, but would you want to stoop that low to get your big break?

Olivers: Am looking away now whilst they‘re abseiling! I do not like heights. I had to force myself to watch Gethin window cleaning Canary Wharf tower, on Blue Peter this week. Kwayedza’a through - excellent choice, I picked him out early on. Good job as always, boys.

Keisha: Come on girl - I need to hear something special to convince me now and ‘My Heart Will Go On’ is a good song choice. Lovely dress. A song in two halves - still didn’t convince until the end. I agree with John and Denise for once, Andrew spot on - there’s something there that needs coaxing out.

Jessie: Performance there, couple of wobbles but strong vocally overall, especially where she slowed it down. And I like the crooked smile too - gives character, like a scar.

Sarah: Oh yes! Very different from the original, made it her own totally. Yay for Sarah!

Francesca: Nice dress. Emotive, her most consistent performance yet. And agreed again with Denise - she needs a belter of a song.

Rachel: Vocally superb but I’ve nailed what it is that worries me: The manic looks into the camera like a mad-eyed stalking woman (and I know a few of those!!) If they’re ever casting for ‘Psycho - The Musical’ she’s a dead cert.

Ok, not even going to guess at what an ‘Andrew’ might involve.

Faves tonight: Sarah and Niamh Bottom two: Ashley and Keisha, which I think would crack Keisha, however, if she is there with Ashley, she’ll be saved again. And have to say again - who’s choosing the songs? Or is it the arrangement thereof? Still no-one giving a performance to blow me away - it needs to be on a par with Connie's Week Two performance of 'Shout'.

On the 'Other Side' it looks like it'll be a battle of young lads on 'Britain's Got Talent' with the two Charlies - a confident 10 year old jazz singer and 13 year old comedian impressing last night. But why do they have to show the really embarrassing ones? And why bother putting that woman who danced to 'Toxic' through? It's laughing AT, not WITH, and there's a big difference in the entertainment value far as I'm concerned. Give me a performer who brings me to tears for the right reasons, anytime.

Results Show:

Live West End Show - we really needed to hear the whole song to help us decide.
Viva Las Vegas - Sarah the only one who stood out for me - and I truly wrote that before they cut to Andrew who said word for word the exact same thing!

I’ll Be There - well done Kwayedza, our song writing R&B star of the future. Although, the arrangement there brings me back to my earlier comments re the song choices - are they deliberately arranged to be bland? Apart from a couple of performances, the uptempo songs seem to all use the same disco karaoke beat, which is why the girls are struggling to put in an outstanding performance. And the ballads are all very measured - they all sing the same way, there‘s no variation - I thought the production was looking for an Amy Winehouse?

Anyway, here we go again: Keisha looks ready to cry. Rachel, safe; Sarah, safe; Samantha and Niamh, safe; Keisha??? Cruel. Jodie, safe; Jessie, safe. We’re left with the three predicted by the GG’s collectively - Ashley, Francesca, Keisha - SAFE! I’m pleased for her - can they please give her free reign to interpret a song next week - ‘Somebody Else’s Guy’ or ‘I Live For Your love’, something she can emote with.

Bye Ashley? Least fave with the viewers too. Whistle Down the Wind, written by Mr. A Lloyd-Webber. I preferred Francesca, warmer in tone, more emotive. Oh dear, Andrew’s clasping his head. That bad, or more difficult than he thought? He’s going for Ashley - credit to the main man for deferring to his subordinates who are there in person. Bit unfair to call Francesca a professional though - no more so than Lee Mead. Powerful to the end, although I think the pitching problem would always be evident. Ashley is going to have to prove to Andrew next week she really can cut it.

No comments: