Saturday 5 April 2008

I’D DO ANYTHING REVIEW

Just so you know - I can’t sing but I LOVE to comment! I have no idea on what constitutes a technically good performance, I just know what I like and what I don't. These are the notes I made as the show unfolded.

Why with the Christmas stars still on the stairs?

Niamh: I’m struggling to get past the ‘Wednesday’ look. Good song choice, not strong enough vocally for the West End, too ‘poppy’ for me. Finished with more depth, possibly should have heard a bit more like that.

Cleo: I can see it - started great, thought she lost it a bit but I like her earthy voice. Feeling Good is one of my Argentine Tango songs.

Hm, I’m all for a bit of encouragement but aren’t the judges going a bit OTT?

Keisha: Was really looking forward to hearing her but disappointed - why, in these reality shows, do they give awesome vocalists pop songs whose lyrics just roll along, with nothing to wrap their vocal chords around?

Samantha: See The Day - another AT song! Quite ordinary I thought. Now, if she’d swapped songs with Keisha I’m pretty sure I’d be writing the opposite on both of these.

Ooh, now JB's gone from one extreme to the other. No, sorry Denise, not the perfect song at all. As for Barry Humphries - can anyone tell me the point?

Francesca: Good start, strongest performance so far, rockin’, in fact. Top end not quite there but overall a feisty performance.

Olivers: Not sure about some individually but collectively they’re great. I was left choosing between Sam, Jonny and Chester: Chester it is. They seem so much more relaxed than the adults.

Rachel: Overdid the ‘vulnerability‘, I thought she was going to stop - and looked like she was going to throw up when she went down to her knees. Didn’t work for me at all.

Sarah: Aw, bless her little bro’. Great performance vocally and acting. Best so far. Oh, come off it judges - the reaction from the crowd when she kicked the chair shows she was working it. Good on you, Andrew.

Tara: Started beautifully but the chorus was a bit flat, I thought she was going to belt it out and she didn‘t.

Jodie: Too cabaret for me. I dunno, who chooses the songs? What’s the betting they give her ‘It’s Raining Men’ at some point and saddle one of the other poor lasses with ‘Young Hearts Run Free’. Totally impossible for anyone ‘cept Candi Staton - it’s such an anthem, so why has every established diva avoided it? And only Whitney brave enough for ‘I’m Every Woman’.
Thank you Andrew! He thought so too re the songs. I think they buggered most of them up tonight.

Ashley: See now, with ‘Mercy’ she could do with some jazzy hands! Great vocal, but how can you stand still while you’re singing this? Now she’s putting a bit of attitude in it, that’s better.

Jessie: Lovely performance, understated, possibly a bit too nervous.

If I was voting: Ashley My bottom two: Keisha and Rachel

Update: Results. Cleo and Keisha in the bottom two, quite shocked at that actually. At least they sing a different song; It suited Keisha more, so not surprised at her being chosen. A real shame about Cleo though, she was one I preferred to some of the others. Just shows how important that solo song is, Cleo sounded fantastic at the end there.

No comments: