Sunday 16 March 2008

Unleashing the Hayemaker

Boxer David Haye isn’t lacking in confidence - but talking the talk sounded more like fact, coming from him, than arrogance! Especially after hearing him describe his thought processes during his fight with Enzo Saccharinely (my spell check did that, ok, not me! Made me laugh though, so I left it) I always believed boxers reacted by instinct, just let their training take over, but no. I was engrossed and impressed at David’s assessment. Can’t wait to see him taking on those heavyweights. Tasty. In more ways than one! As for Enzo - not the accent I was expecting when he was interviewed! But very pleasant, none the less!
I used to work in Canning Town, just along from the Royal Oak - the ‘stable’ of Terry Lawless. I remember being in the café nearby when darkness suddenly descended - I thought storm clouds had gathered. But when I turned around, it was Frank Bruno, blocking the doorway! You really had to be there. Picture this: A 4ft 8in skinny 16 year old lad I worked with, supping a pint of Guinness, stood next to Frank Bruno with his pint of orange squash!

No comments: